Back when our daughter decided she wanted to learn to swim at all costs, we considered many alternatives in our neighborhood. We tried Yokogawa and Fujimura, but the latter won our vote due to proximity to our place (just a few minutes walk), even though it seemed a little strict. So we went all out and bought the club's swimsuit and the swim cap, got the swim bag also and our daughter went merily to classes, as I sat at the 2F viewing station with our then baby son. Since then we've also enroled our son, from the age of 4, as he was also fretting about getting into the pool.
Totally different experiences with both kids: one was serious and dedicated to learning quickly and passing the different levels of competence, the other totally committed to fooling around in the water and making as little effort to listen to the teacher... I was approached once by a concerned instructor who wanted my permission to be "stricter" with my boy... No way! He was only 4 and loved water, so I thought the classes were worth it anyway, even though he progressed ever so slowly. He's 7 now and a bit more in tune with the program, so I'm happy I didn't pull him out as I had considered so many times.
Fujimura's administration also eased over the years. I recall an incident way back when the "Furikae" (make-up classes) rules were tighter where I ended up explaining my views to the pool's director... (Gaijin parents are usually trouble-makers!) Amazingly, the policies changed a bit thereafter, and I've been very happy with their system ever since. Tests for lower levels are held during class, once a month. For higher levels, tests are given every 3 months, on a Sunday.
Fujimura's administration also eased over the years. I recall an incident way back when the "Furikae" (make-up classes) rules were tighter where I ended up explaining my views to the pool's director... (Gaijin parents are usually trouble-makers!) Amazingly, the policies changed a bit thereafter, and I've been very happy with their system ever since. Tests for lower levels are held during class, once a month. For higher levels, tests are given every 3 months, on a Sunday. Fujimura is located near Tokyu Department store, and they are open everyday but Sunday for regular kids classes. My daughter now takes Diving lessons there and loves it, but the class is given a bit late (7pm) for the time being. My son is on the twice-a-week program, and is finally learning the crawl... Prices are every reasonable and switching classes is now easy and practical. I also like the kind of family atmosphere in the reception hall; the assistants are quite welcoming and seem to know the kids by name!

No comments:
Post a Comment